Thursday 1 December 2016

Take Me, I'm Yours!


This is not an article about football, but its about a football fan, one of ours, and KillieFC.com has always been about the fans as much as the club. Nicola ‘minikillie’ Milligan has been a member of the website from back in the day, and although she doesn’t get involved in the forums much any more, she is still a well known face about the place and we were delighted to catch up with her yesterday and hear about her recent experience with one of her music heroes, the one and only Glenn Tilbrook


Nicola said: "I've been a fan of Squeeze for over thirty years or so as they were one of the first bands I really started listening to. I've seen the band, or members of the band, in their solo shows maybe twenty-five times or so. Twenty years ago this month I saw them at the Barrowlands, which makes it seem really weird that twenty years later I actually got to play my favourite Squeeze song with Glenn at a gig in Edinburgh!"


So how did all that come about exactly? "At the show, he asked if anyone played guitar, I shouted, "Yes" and before I knew it I was up on stage being asked to take a pick of the acoustic or electric guitars...then he asked if I knew "Take Me I'm Yours"; erm yes, it's my favourite! He gave me the opening chord, and that was us. It was all too quick for me to get nervous which is just as well as I wouldn't have done it had I thought about it in advance."


She continued: "Thankfully he's a fantastic guitarist so, the song quickly turned into him improvising a rather fantastic solo while I was just grinning back, probably inanely, at him. But, the connection of just looking at each other playing the song was terrific. Literally a dream come true. A quick hug from GT and then it was all over. I went back into the crowd and I'm not ashamed to say I had a massive grin on my face, and some very happy tears fell too! To think I took along an album thinking that getting it signed would have made for a good night."


Tilbrook is certainly a crowd pleaser at the best of times and in this case he went off the scale in terms of that. So is this the end of the road for the duo? Has Nicola peaked or has she bigger plans on the music front? She said: "Well in bucket list terms, I can't imagine much better than this experience, that said, if Elvis Costello asks the same question, I'll not hesitate to get myself right up there again! This is proof that dreams can come true, even if you do have to wait a few years for it to happen." We'll keep an eye out for Mr McManus' next gig!



No comments:

Post a Comment