Tuesday 14 June 2016

My Favourite XI - Gaby McKay

We asked the members of the KillieFC.com forums to tell us their all-time favourite Killie XI. If you'd like to tell us about your favourite XI, simply send it to us with a wee paragraph about each of your choices, a photo of you and your Twitter handle (if you use it): michael@killiefc.com
Here's Gaby McKay to take us through his world-beaters...


I'm too young to remember the '65 team, and only just remember the '97 side, so here it goes - my all time favourite Killie XI. I admit some players may be slightly out of position, but I feel they could adapt to my 4-2-3-1 shape...



GK: Dragoje Lekovic
A rather hazy memory for me, but I remember enjoying his very colourful kit and thinking he was a bit mental. What more could you want from a goalkeeper?

RB: Gus MacPherson
 My first Killie right back, and there hasn't been a better once since. I still remember finding it odd when he returned to Rugby Park with Dunfermline. I didn't see the majority of his 350+ games, but there's no other choice at right back.

CB: Frédéric Dindeleux
 My first Killie hero. Good on the ball, brilliant in the air and with glorious flowing locks. When my mum and dad got married, I insisted on wearing my "Dindeleux 17" shirt. I don't think the grandparents were too impressed...

CB: Manuel Pascali
 Signed as a midfielder, in his debut friendly I said "that guy is a centre-back". That wasn't just because he was Italian either, Paska wasn't the quickest but he was great in the air and had the heart of a lion. A lovely guy off the pitch, he's a true Killie legend.

LB: Garry Hay
 Much of my Killie-supporting life coincided with Garry Hay's career. Broke through soon after I started my fandom in earnest, played until 2013. Nothing confirmed the inexorable passage of time like the day Hooky retired.

CM: Craig Bryson
 A rare combination of hard work and skill, I actually saw him play for Clyde prior to us signing him. Our most underrated player for several seasons, once he reached his prime it became clear he was too good for Rugby Park.

CM: Alexei Eremenko
Probably the most talented player I've seen in a Killie shirt, I'm going to put him in the regista role. In his first spell with us, he was arguably the best player in the entire league. Some questioned his fitness in his second spell, but if he was an athlete he'd never have come near Rugby Park. Saw passes no others could, and made everyone around him a better player.

RM: Steven Naismith
I may be doing Naisy a disservice by putting him out on the right wing, but he's the kind of player who did a job in any position. Like Craig Bryson, it quickly became apparent he was far too good for us.

AM: David Fernandez
Perhaps my all-time favourite Killie player, he'd have played at a much higher level if he had any pace. Without Gary Caldwell's assault at Rugby Park he could have been a true legend, but even still his performance at Easter Road in a 4-2 win in 2008 was the best individual performance I've ever seen from a Kilmarnock player.

LM: Eric Skora
Magical during a six-month loan spell, he made just one brief substitute appearance on his return. His goal long-range chip at Celtic Park, a late consolation, was celebrated as if it had been the winner. Perhaps the best goal I've seen from a Killie player.

ST: Kris Boyd
Who else? Quite simply the best goalscorer I've seen in a Kilmarnock shirt, his five goals against Dundee United will live long in the memory, as will his winner which condemned Hibs to the play-off in 2014.

What do you think? Let him know on Twitter: @GabyMcKay

No comments:

Post a Comment